Tuesday, September 30, 2014

"The sun will come up tomorrow."

4:30 A.M.:

Conversation with homeless guy in front of store:

HOMELESS GUY: "The sun isn't coming up today."
ME: "What happened to it?"
HOMELESS GUY: "It burned out."
ME: "Well . . . that would suck. But I think it will come up."
HOMELESS GUY: "I hope so. It should be up by now."
ME: "It will. It's just coming up later everyday. It's fall."
HOMELESS GUY: "I don't think you know what I'm talking about."
ME: "I guess I don't."
HOMELESS GUY: "I think something's wrong."
ME: "Why do you say that?"
HOMELESS GUY: "Listen. Do you hear birds? Do you hear crickets?"
ME: "No, but it's late September and it's been cold."
HOMELESS GUY: "What about all the deer that are sick and dying?"
ME: "I haven't seen any sick and dying deer."
HOMELESS GUY: "I have. All over town. The deer are all sick and dying."
ME: "I just saw a doe and her fawn there about a half hour ago."

I point to the grassy area between the store and the cattail marsh.

ME: "They looked really healthy"
HOMELESS GUY: "I just think something's wrong. I don't think the sun is coming up tomorrow."
ME: "Don't worry. The sun will come up tomorrow."
HOMELESS GUY: "I hope so."
ME: "You can bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun."
HOMELESS GUY: "How can you be so sure?"
ME: "Just a strong hunch."
ME: "Well, I need to get back to work."
HOMELESS GUY: "I hope the sun comes up."
ME: "It will."
HOMELESS GUY: "I hope so."

It did.

No comments:

Post a Comment