Sunday, January 18, 2015

Feeding the Beast?

January 18, 2015
Our gas prices dropped below $2.00 a gallon for the first time in six years or so. Customers are thrilled. Most folks who pre-pay inside with cash (which saves 5 cents per gallon) are now coming back in for change, pleasantly surprised they're getting so much more for their money. Many use the savings to buy better beer, higher-quality cigarettes and more lottery tickets.

There's one regular custumor who ranted about high-gas prices last summer and blamed Obama. I told him I didn't think a President had much control over gas prices. He looked at me like I was stupid. A few nights ago he seemed elated about the lower prices, and told me he plans to go back to a "bigger truck." I asked if he thought Obama was responsible for the lower prices. He looked at me like I was stupid.

Maybe it's because I mostly ride a bike, but I'm uneasy about lower gas prices. I can't help but compare it to a crack dealer lowering prices to keep addicts addicted and coming back for more. With lower prices comes less motivation to conserve and find more efficient ways to extract and use fossil fuels, and less incentive to pursue cleaner, alternative sources of energy and reduce C02 and other emissions that are the driving force behind climate change.

Ironically, part of the reason gas prices have dropped is because of less demand resulting from much of the world using more fuel-efficient cars and driving less -- changes inspired, in large part, by high gas prices. Another reason prices have dropped derives from increased production in the United States using new techniques and technologies such as hydraulic fracturing and shale oil extraction -- techniques and technology that increase pollution and C02 emissions and have huge, negative impacts to water quantity, water and air quality, human health and wildlife habitat.

Is that a price worth paying for cheaper gas?

A few days ago I read how sales of large SUVs, trucks and Hummers have increased by as much as 32 percent with lower gas prices. Pay less, use more; Pay less, pollute more.

I chatted with a custumor about this one night. He looked at me like I was stupid.

Maybe it's because I mostly ride a bike, but I think lower gas prices are just fueling addiction and feeding the beast.        

No comments:

Post a Comment