Friday, October 31, 2014

Pay it Forward

A guy comes up to the register to buy some Red Bull energy drinks and a pack of Pyramids in the short red box. Total: $13.62. He swipes his credit card and it’s declined. He tries again; declined. He tries another card and that too is declined. He seems conscientious and apologetic about the line forming behind him and says, “Sorry. Apparently I do not have as much as I thought in there. Tomorrow is pay day, I will have to come back then. Sorry for the inconvenience.”

“No problem,” I say. “Been there myself; no worries.”

As I am about to void the ticket the guy in line behind him says, “Let me get it for you.”

“Oh, I can’t let you do that. It’s okay. But thanks.”
“I insist, it will be my good deed for the day.”
“Oh, I really appreciate it but . . . “
“Please, let me. You can pay it forward sometime.”

The good Samaritan puts his liters of Pepsi and A&W Root Beer on the counter, asks for a pack of Camel Wides and requests I add it the other guy’s tab. New total: $20.08. He pays with a $50.00 bill.

The first guy is very appreciative, and as they leave and part ways I hear him say, “Thank you, again . . . and yes, I will pay it forward.”

No comments:

Post a Comment