Wednesday, October 8, 2014

"I wish she'd make up her goddamn mind!"

A burly middle-age man comes in wearing a New York Yankee hat and jacket. He's got a strong New York accent and a curt, direct, tough-guy edge about him that's common along the East Coast. He buys a pack of Virginia Slim Superslim Menthols then goes outside and gets back in his car (a blue Ford Taurus with New York plates) where I can see a woman in the passenger seat.

They begin to pull out, the car stops, then they pull back in and park again. The guy gets out of the car and comes back in into the store. He goes to the cooler, grabs a Mountain Dew, pays for it, goes outside, gets back in the car and hands the bottle to the woman in the passenger seat.

They begin to pull out, stop, and pull back in yet again.

The guy comes back into the store. He doesn't seem happy. He grabs a pack of Trident Tropical Twist gum and, as he's bringing it up to the counter to pay, he says:

"Fucking women! She just keeps sending me back in again, and again and again . . . I wish she'd make up her goddamn mind!"

I ring him up. He pays.

"See you again in few moments?" I ask.

He smiles. Sort of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment