Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Midterm Complications

A woman comes up to the register to purchase a couple packs of Jolly Ranchers, a King-size Almond Joy bar and a Twix. As I'm ringing it up she sees and grabs a pack of Now & Later Soft Quick Chew Taffy on display at the front counter and says, "It's not nice to tempt a pregnant woman with these!" 

"I know, terrible of us isn't it?" I reply. "We also have ice cream."

She laughs.

"Oh, my husband has been buying me plenty of that!"
"I bet!"

We chat. She's due in March. It will be her second child. She's hoping for a girl.

I ring up her items, "That will be $5.28."
"Oh, wait," she says, "I also need a pack of Camel Crush Bolds, please."

After she leaves and gets in her car I watch her unwrap the pack (throw the cellophane out the window of course), light up a smoke and drive off.

"SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking causes lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, and may complicate pregnancy."

I have read that on the side of empty packs of Camel Crush Bolds and other brands I find crushed and tossed in the parking lot.

(See also: Nicotine for the Fetus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment